Sunday, May 5, 2013

Bribery



That is a pumpkin seed she's holding.

A bribery of sorts - it's one of her favourite treats so I'll be using them heavily to reward good behaviour.

We've made some progress in the stepping on my hand with no drama (since October it's been on/off but she'll step on my arm quite well) but I really need her to do it more consistently, as it's easier to put her back in her cage when she's on my hand.

She's also growing into her beak and we'll start more pro-actively rewarding her when she's gentle. She sometimes bites down a little harder than we would like, although she doesn't break skin. I think for most of it, she's just playing rough and it's not necessarily done out of malice, but better to reinforce the gentle use of beak on our hands and let her use whatever force she'll want on her toys. On that note, she's been quite destructive of her toys lately, not that I'm complaining, it's obvious she needs to use her beak and I'd much rather she use that venue.

In any case, hopefully she'll keep enjoying the pumpkin seeds as rewards as the seed mix they are provided with has quite a few and since none of the others like them, we just pull them out for this purpose.


1 comment:

Tamara said...

I love that you're using positive reinforcement with Lea as she grows into her beak :) She's a lucky girl to have someone who understands her so well.